Seven people have died from methyl alcohol in the city of Ahvaz in western Iran. The victims thought it would save them from coronavirus, IRNA reported citing the local prosecutor’s office.
The prosecutor’s office says the number of deaths from methanol is expected to rise. As of March 8, 48 people were poisoned. Four people lost their eyesight after consuming methanol.
The myth that alcohol helps from coronavirus infection has spread in social networks, says IRNA. The agency doesn’t specify why people used methyl alcohol.
In Iran, more than 6.5 thousand cases of coronavirus infection have already occurred, 237 people have died.